OF NOTE is an award-winning online magazine that features global artists using the arts as tools for social change. The magazine is a digital space where Art meets Activism.
1) OF NOTE brings awareness to the innovative ways people use the arts to impact policy, promote global citizenship, inspire social consciousness, motivate action, and simply put, improve the state of the world.
2) Through its arts and cultural commentary, profiles, and interviews, OF NOTE promotes global understanding, bridges cultures, and raises awareness of contemporary social issues.
3) OF NOTE addresses the media’s under-reporting of artists impacting their communities through the arts.
4) With a commitment to under-the-radar artists, OF NOTE amplifies the voices and visibility of artists who are often neglected in the media and who do not usually make the headlines or front pages.
Through its curated issues, OF NOTE has featured over 70 Artists from 40 countries who use the arts to address social justice/human rights issues. OF NOTE’s long-form journalism authored by its roster of over 30 emerging and established internationally-based Writers has focused on how artists are:
1. addressing mass incarceration in the United States
2. responding to current immigration debates and challenging preconceived notions about immigrants
3. championing the education of girls in developing nations
4. raising awareness about indigenous communities around the world
5. bringing attention to the plight of girls caught in Colombia’s drug and gang wars and illuminating the heroic stories ofEthiopian girls who fight back against child marriage
6. documenting the plight of abandoned children with albinism in Zimbabwe
7. shedding light on the dangerous journey of migrants between the Guatemalan/Mexican border
8. combatting the culture of silence surrounding domestic violence in Indian communities
9. fighting illiteracy among the ‘Born Frees” in South Africa
10. confronting sexism in the portrayals of women and girls in the media
Awards and Honors
2014, Images & Voices of Hope (IVOH) Media Award
Awarded to OF NOTE magazine and Grace Aneiza Ali, founder & editorial director, for Outstanding media project that shows a commitment to constructive change. [more]
2014, Guyana Cultural Association Award
Awarded to OF NOTE magazine and Grace Aneiza Ali, founder & editorial director, for Outstanding accomplishment in contemporary media.
“The online magazine OF NOTE is leading edge in its application of the arts as a catalytic mechanism for activism and social change. The use of multi-media to portray the artistic and cultural productions of Guyana and Guyanese in the Diaspora is most noteworthy. The country’s multi-ethnic heritage can be seen as an inspiration.” (Guyana Cultural Association)